What are the grant criteria?
When reviewing grant applications, TCLDF will give preference to applicants who are:
- An affirming parent or legal guardian
- Working with counsel
- Working with a medical expert/therapist/gender clinic who has treated, or will treat, the gender-expansive youth
- Follows best practices for caring for gender-expansive youth
- Has a case based in Ohio
- Has an impending trial
- Demonstrates financial need
How much can I expect to receive if I am awarded a grant from TCLDF?
Our standard grant is $2,500.00, with some limited flexibility to make exceptions for larger amounts as appropriate and as funds are available.
How often are grants awarded?
Currently we are accepting applications any time. Grants are awarded on a quarterly basis, depending on demand.
Do I have to live in Ohio to receive a grant?
We give preference to applicants who are based in Ohio or whose case will be heard in Ohio; however, it is not a requirement to receive a grant award.
Is financial need a factor?
We give preference to applicants who demonstrate financial as indicated on the completed application and substantiated with documentation.
Who is payment awarded to?
The award is paid directly to the attorney representing the affirming parent or guardian.
How often can I apply?
Only one award may be granted to an applicant within a year of the initial request. If an applicant does not receive an award based on their initial request, they may request that their application be considered again for the subsequent award period. Note that additional and/or updated information may be required for subsequent consideration.
Will TCLDF contact me?
All applications receive confirmation when they are received. Applicants will be notified via email if their grant is not awarded. Finalists will be contacted for an interview and notified of TCLDF's decision after the interview and application review are complete.
Please read the following disclaimers
- Please discuss with your attorney prior to submitting this application.
- These grant criteria are periodically reviewed by the TCLDF Board and are subject to change at anytime,
- By submitting an application, you are in no way promised an award.
- No one affiliated with the governance or leadership of TCLDF (including current/former board members, the founding members, committee members) may receive a grant.